2020 Virtual Recharter
Every year, all units (packs, troops, crews, ships) are required to renew their affiliation with Scouting.
The BSA issues charters to community organizations to enable them to use the Scouting program under their own leadership as a service to their children, youth, and families. Re-chartering is the process of renewing the charter agreement between the BSA and the organization, and renewing the registration of youth and adult members.
Rechartering on time is critical. It is required for Journey to Excellence. It is required for units to continue registration without interruption. It is required to ensure Scouts are registered, critical for receiving rank advancement and other awards, and for insurance coverage.
A representative of each unit completes the paperwork for renewing a charter online. Through the process, chartered (sponsoring) organizations, youth member and adult leader information is updated as well as registration fees and Boys’ Life subscriptions are collected/paid.
If this is your first time to be involved with recharter, or if you need to brush up on how recharter is done, please read How Recharter is Done before continuing. Doing so will help make the pointers to resources below more useful!
If at any time you have problems or questions please reach out to your assigned Unit Commissioner, or any of the following people for assistance. We will set up a zoom conference if needed:
In June, BSA’s National Council has announced this important changes that affect this year’s recharter effective August 1st, 2020.
- To ensure that BSA has the resources to fulfill the promise of Scouting, the National Executive Board of the Boy Scouts of America has made the difficult but necessary decision to increase annual membership fees.
- $66 for youth members in Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing and Sea Scouts,
- $25 Initiation (Joining) fee for new scouts, all levels, only.
- $42 for youth members in Exploring,
- $42 for adult members (includes background check),
- $75 for unit charter fees
- Recharter is 100% Virtual this year.
The statements in this announcement supersede any other statement in our rechartering documentation that is in conflict with, or that omits mention of, these statements.
Merit Badge Counselors (Troops Only)
- Use the form provided to check “drop” next to each MBC you wish to drop, then scan and email form OR email a list of names of MB Counselors from your unit to drop to .
- All Merit Badge Counselor adds are submitted electronically through SendSafely. Each new MB Counselor must complete a BSA application.
- All MBC applications must include the signed disclosure statement and a valid Youth Protection certificate.
- Email Merit Badge Counselor Form (not BSA Application) to